If you’re BUYING a home:
- Always get a mortgage pre-qualification letter from a national lender before looking.
Make sure it is a good one and all income, debt, assets, and down payments are taken into consideration.
- Determine the desired location.
Close to work, school, etc?
Is it in a flood plain or forest fire area?
City water or well and septic system?
- Find the best buyer’s agent possible.
- If you need to sell a home first make sure it closes before the new home closes or arrange interim financing.
- Obtain an attorney prior to signing any contract.
Preferably, one in the new location.
- Think through the type of home you want…
Will stairs be a problem as you age?
Should it be stick or brick… Condo or town house… Basement?